I Read, you Read we all scream for...books?

I'm just looking for some reading recommendations, i'm not particularly fussy about the genre. Give me three titles and a brief synopsis and there is a good chance ill go out and grab them this weekend.
so far this month I've read:
The iron king by Maurice Druon.
Its a historical fiction about the end of the Templars in France and the death of philip the fair. its part of a larger series and fairly information heavy. its often quoted as being one of the inspirations for game of thrones which kind of does it a disservice.
Bear by Marian Engel
its a pseudo coming of age tale, often touted as feminist literature. a young women moves to the north lands of Ontario for work only to fall in love with a bear, Ursidae variety not the hairy gay man, realizes she doesn't need men. tulip shaped penis' ends up getting scratched. Not a long read but not a great one either.
Pulp by Charles Bukowski
In his last novel his writing seemed to portray the fact that he knew he was on deaths door. its slightly less misogynistic than most of his other works but its also probably one of his most smarmy and sarcastic. the novel starts off with a dedication to bad writing and just runs with it. 

Comments

• @lazyusername are you interested in nonfiction at all? 
  • edited June 13
    @lazyusername 2 book series are incredible in my opinion are ....

The Bobiverse Series (SCIFI)

The Bobiverse is the story of Robert "Bob" Johansson, who, after becoming financially independent by selling his software company, decides to spend some of his money by contracting to have his head cryogenically frozen by CryoEterna Inc. upon his death. The idea is that his head would be preserved until later, when technology permitted a body to be grown and his thawed head attached to it - thus resuming life. The next day he is unexpectedly killed in an automobile accident, and his contract is activated. He wakes up 117 years later and finds that he has been harvested from his frozen disembodied head and installed in a computer matrix as an artificial intelligence. The world has significantly changed.

The Kingkiller Chronicle (FANTASY)

It's basically Harry Potter goes to university with sex, scandal, music, magic and murder! oh my *fans self*

• @the_3rd_realm absolutely, what cha got for me?
    @8BitMiker the bobiverse sounds like it could be batty, colour me intrigued. and the beard on Patrick Rothfuss alone makes me inclined to give him a shot, thanks
  • Trust me @lazyusername I don't use the word INCREDIBLE lightly haha :) I think you will love em.
  • edited June 13
    lol I had no idea Patrick Rothfuss had such a MAJESTIC BEARD!

• I'm currently reading only the devil is here by Stephen Michell because i had ten dollar off offer for chapters and hes local dude. i assumed it was going to be a supernatural/ demonic possession type read but given a few of the reviews i read this morning it sounds more like christian propaganda so i'm not horribly confident that ill be enjoying this much.
  • @8BitMiker No word of a lie, i'm jealous of anyone who can grow a beard of that length. mine hits the three inch mark and then starts to molt.
  • Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers- by Mary Roach
    Basically an exploration of what happens to dead bodies, mostly in the realm of experimentation for different sciences. I found it pretty fascinating and it's often quite humorous yet respectful of the subject matter.

In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food- by Stewart Lee Allen
    This is a book about various foods that haven been considered 'forbidden' throughout the ages. This quote sums it up nicely- "...engagingly illustrates that when a pleasure as primal as eating is criminalized, there is often an astonishing tale to tell."

The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking- by Oliver Burkeman
    "A witty, fascinating, and counterintuitive read that turns decades of self-help advice on its head and forces us to rethink completely our attitudes toward failure, uncertainty, and death."
    I found this book avoids the touchy-feeliness that usually accompanies books of this subject matter, and the author isn't trying to convince you of anything. It examines the self-help industry but isn't really a self-help book.

The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside the Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Every Made- by Greg Sestero & Tom Bissel
    I'm sure y'all know what this is. This book flip flops between a recollection of Greg's life as a struggling actor, which is not horribly interesting, but is important for setting up context for the other half of the book- his bizarre relationship with Tommy Wiseau & the filming of 'The Room', and all the weird, interesting stuff that went on.
    The film adaptation was AWFUL and really not indicative of the book's content...so if you've only seen the movie I would definitely encourage reading the book as it infinitely better in every way.

• @the_3rd_realm Oh man I went down the rabbit hole something fierce with the room a few years ago. I'm not sure I would go as far as to call the film awful but it certainly was...lacking.Now having been breed from vaguely jewish stock and having absolutely no desire to practice the faith in the devils garden sounds like it would be right up my alley because who the hell turn down the pleasure of a cheese burger, serial killers. that's who. 
  • I read a really good sci-fi book called The 3 Body Problem, and now I'm reading the second book called The Dark Forrest. They have some really interesting sci-fi concepts in them. I highly recommend reading the first book without knowing anything about it. That's how I read it and I think it ads to the story when you have no idea where it's leading.
  • @Dio737 But what if I won't want ads in my story? Sorry.
    Sounds good, I'll check it out.

Damn, I wrote of a long list, only three? Okay, I'll give three with what else you might like based on them.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi
    Starship Troopers, but neither militaristic propaganda (Heinlein) nor satire thereof (1997 film). Just a war story in space with a bit of humour. If you like it, there's a whole series. Also try The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
    First of the Mistborn books. A stagnating world, revolution, and a hard fantasy magic system. This author's magic systems are extremely well put together, basically including well-written physics lessons (but more fun) that are mostly accurate. And the books are well written with strong world building and fleshed out, likable characters. If you want a fantasy epic, read The Stormlight Archive. And if you want Mistborn with Superheroes, try The Reckoners.

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
    This book explains how your brain works, and why it doesn't work like a computer, why that's good, and how it often fails. If you like this, look for books on behavioral economics. Or if you want to know how your brain compares to a computer in detail, try Algorithms to Live By by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths.
  • @gercunderscore4 hell throw them all. the only reason I said three is i don't like to have a ton sitting around waiting to be read. i'm currently on the hero of ages which is less good than the first of the Mistborn series but with Sanderson even his less good novels seem to pretty okay. apparently the Wax and Wayne has the opposite progression wherein it starts off weak but builds as it goes on.
  • Wow it looks like you already have a ton lined up! I'll only suggest the one series then:
    The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher! It's about a wizard private investigator trying to make ends meet in modern Chicago. Most of the population doesn't believe in wizards and monsters, etc but as things happen Dresden (the wizard) is hired to help. Technology tends to fail when he interacts with it,(something this universe uses to balance wizards from being overpowered), and it has its funny moments. Well developed characters and much love for the universe the author created <3

More info if you want, but careful of spoilers if you're worried!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files
  • @gercunderscore4. yes it adds quite a bit to the story lol.
    I have heard really good things about Brandon Sanderson. I know he wrote the last couple books in the Wheel of Time series. I read the first few books in that seies. They are very good. I'll have to check out The Final Empire.
  • @Mikka my cousin just lent me The Dresden Files. I haven't read it yet, but it's probably my next book.
  • Awesome @Dio737 I hope you love them as much as I do!